11.15.2010

baking: the best banana bread.


My friend over @ The Organic Experience posted about her banana bread so I thought I would follow her lead and post about mine. Big step in my world.

I used to be so protective over my recipe's - almost like they defined me and because I had created my business out of them - but that is no more!! I want to share them with everyone so we can all experience the deliciousness!!

I feel like I have to explain this recipe. This was one of my very first experiments, I was very much by the book when it came to baking. I had really just taken my first few steps into my love of scratch baking when we had a bombshell dropped into our laps - high cholesterol. And to top it off medication was not an option. So we had to go the old-fashioned way - Diet and Exercise.

We started swapping this for that and chucking things altogether - brown rice for white, brown pasta for white pasta, less processed more fresh, baked boneless skinless chicken breast in for lunch meat and.....whole wheat flour for white flour. No more sour cream. Lots more ground flax seed (ground is the only was to get the benefits of the Omega 3).

Now whole wheat flour does not work for everything 100% for 100% but for this it works beautifully!

For this recipe I swapped the flour out for whole wheat and the white sugar out for organic cane sugar. You can swap them back if you like! I also banished the chocolate chips. The loaf is sweet enough with out them! You can adjust the sugar levels as well - lowering to 3/4 cups does not change height to much, 2/3 cups does give you a shorter loaf but still quite tasty. You can also add 1/4 cup of ground flax seed into the dry ingredients.

the best banana bread
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup organic cane sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt (I like to use Kosher salt to get that occasional salt crunch but the husband complains about it to much so I do occasionally use table salt)
2 eggs, room temp & lightly beaten
3 medium to large bananas, mashed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan (I brush with oil).
In a large bowl combine eggs, oil and bananas and beat together.
In another bowl whisk together dry ingredients and add to wet. Beat together until just combined.
Pour into loaf pan and bake for 55 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
Let cool on wire rack for 20 mins then pop out of pan and let cool completely. You can serve slightly warm or wait if you can till cooled down! 
Freezes beautifully.

No comments: