10.29.2010

Roasted just tastes better!



Soup Soup Soup - cold day, warm soup.

I was never really one for soup or for making it but since the bakery I found out that I actually have quite a knack for it and that I really do like it!

I knew that a soup and sandwich lunch would be an integral part of the shop so I started practicing the soup component right away for I knew it had to be homemade - a house specialty.

The idea of homemade soup has always been quite daunting to me and I was really surprised at how easy it is! 

To me though there is something quite exotic about Roasted Butternut Squash Soup. I don't know why. Maybe because it seems so hard when really it is so simple!

When I presented the idea to the husband about having the soup on Saturday night (actually I just told him that's what we were having!) he was a little hesitant about the substance to the dinner that he had leftover shepard's pie on stand by. He was surprised at how full he actually was and really did not need his old stand by (but he did choke it down!!). Although he did ask me during the meal what the difference between a soup like this and a puree. Hmmm....I think I will have to get back to him on that one.

My base for this recipe has come via Stephmodo (again I know! She's just really a domestic goddess!!) from Epicurious but as all us great chef's do (!) I swapped some of the ingredients around! In the original recipe they cube up two different type of squash (butternut and acorn) and boil them right in the soup to cook them but I like roasting one type of squash because I feel that roasted tastes better! Next time I will be adding a dash of curry powder to give it some more depth. Also I am searching for a richer base - some umami if you will. I have been discussing this with my Dad (another active foody in our long line) and we have come up with some interesting ideas that I will share shortly. For now here is what I have! A nice salad of mixed greens with a balsamic vinaigrette finished it off nicely. 
Bon Appetite!

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
3 14 1/2-ounce cans low-salt vegetable broth or chicken broth
2 Whole butternut Squash, cut in half, seeded and roasted (about 3 pounds in total - 8 cups)
1 1/4 teaspoons minced fresh thyme {if you don't have it it's fine.}
1 to 2 tbsp of curry powder depending on your taste.
{i have updated this recipe since it's original publication.}

To roast squash:
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut squashes in half and remove seeds. Please on a sheet pan, drizzle with good quality olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Place in oven and let roast for about 45 to one hour or when pierced easily with a fork. Remove from oven and let cool slightly so it can be handled.
Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, reduce heat, and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Add curry powder and sautee for about 30 seconds. Add broth, all squash and thyme; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 20 minutes.{40 mins if your squash is raw.}
Working in batches, puree soup in blender or use an immersion blender right in the pot {tht's what i do.}. Return soup to same pot. Bring to a simmer and season with salt and pepper. Taste and serve.
(Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill. Rewarm over medium heat before serving.)
**if you don't have time to roast the squash just add it, cubed and raw, to the mix at the correct time.
 
stay tuned....jen xoxo




No comments: